Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Granola

Here's a problem:

Granola.

And don't snicker at me like that. Granola is an enormous problem. At 430 calories per serving, its tasty delightfulness is going to be the death of me. I'm not the only one in my family who likes it, so when I make it I have to make a huge batch. And then there's that much more of it for me to dive into. NOT GOOD.

But for anyone who wants to experience the taste insanity I have come to love, here's what I do:

8 cups rolled oats
1 1/2 cups rolled wheat
1 1/2 cups oat bran
1 1/2 cups wheat germ
1 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1 cup oil
1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla
1 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon
2 cups nuts (whatever kind you most adore)
2 cups chopped dried cherries
1 1/2 teaspoons salt

Mix the dry ingredients together until well blended. Mix the wet ingredients together in a separate dish. Pour the wet over the dry and stir for what feels like forever. Make sure that all the dry ingredients have been at least slightly dampened by the wet. Bake at 325, stirring at 15-20 minute intervals until it's toasted exactly how you like it. I usually end up toasting mine for 30-45 minutes. Allow to cool completely. Store in airtight container (I use a giant tupperware bowl).

After you've tried it and fallen in love, share the amazingness with all those around you. Infect the world with granola!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment